Notes On Data Privacy
The confidentiality and integrity of your personal data is particularly important to us. We will therefore use and process your data carefully in accordance with data protection laws. We will only collect, use and process personal data to contact you in connection with BMW Charging and MINI Charging services.
BMW Japan Corp. (hereinafter referred to as the "Company") is providing outstanding services which are appropriate for our high-quality and high-performance vehicles achieved by the Customer First policy. This policy is consistent in acquisition, handling and protection of personal information of our customers, and not only the Company but whole BMW Japan Group including authorized BMW Dealers will sincerely conduct this theme. The Company hereby releases our Privacy Statement, and we make sure that customers’ personal information are handled appropriately in accordance with the principles set out as follows so that we can earn trust and understanding by our customers.
1. Compliance with Laws and Regulations
The Company complies with the Act on the Protection of Personal Information and other relevant laws and regulations in handling customers’ personal information.
2. Purpose of Use of Customers’ Personal Information and Its Provision
The Company responsibly handles customers' personal information that we keep or customers' private data that we hold, at the Company or the Company’s headquarters in Germany, and the Company does not use such personal information for any other purposes than described below. In case we ask directly customers to provide personal information in a form, etc., we will inform them in writing the purpose of use of their information.
(1) For provision of information to customers on our products, services or events, and campaigns by ways of letters, telephone calls, e-mail, and direct contact.
(2) For conducting questionnaire surveys for product development or for observing the measures to improve customer satisfaction, by ways of letters, telephone calls, e-mail, or interviews etc.
(3) For provision of vehicle-related information on regular service, car inspection, expiration of car insurance, by ways of letters, telephone calls, e-mail, and direct contact.
(4) For provision of accurate services to the customer’s vehicle, appropriate advice on valuations or when switching to new models, and information to customers on our products, etc., by jointly using customers' information and service information of customers' vehicles as specified in 4 below.
(5) For provision of services in response to requests and applications made for requesting information, applying for test ride and participating in prize competitions.
(6) For provision of emergency roadside assistance including BMW / MINI 24-hour Emergency Services.
(7) For credit examination, and credit check and management.
(8) For market research, distribution analysis and statistics etc.
(9) For provision of the following customers’ personal information to third parties described in 3 above in document- or electronic form.
Items to be provided to third parties: Address, name, date of birth, telephone number, e-mail address, occupation, business transaction information, and information collected through questionnaire surveys and our website.
(10) When disclosure of personal information is required by laws and regulations, court order, or competent administrative agency’s order or decision.
3. Provision of Customers’ Personal Information to Third Parties
The Company does not provide customers’ personal information to outside companies and/or third parties without consent of the customers, excluding situations with exceptional conditions described below. However, in case the Company subcontracts its business operations involving handling of customers’ personal information, it will entrust such information to the subcontractors, within the scope of the purpose of subcontracting.
(1) When explicitly expressed in writing, etc., in advance and acquired customers' consent regarding provision of personal information to BMW Japan Finance Corp., authorized BMW/MINI dealer having Dealer Contract with the Company, and contracted insurance companies.
(2) When disclosure of personal information is required by laws and regulations, court order, or competent administrative agency’s order or decision, or when provision of personal information to third parties is permitted under applicable laws and regulations.
(3) When jointly using customers’ vehicle service information as described in Article 4 below.
4. Joint Use of Customers' Information and Customers' Vehicle Service Information
Customers’ information such as a customer’s address, name and date of birth, and information on services carried out for customers’ vehicle by our Dealer in charge etc. are jointly used as follows.
(1) Items and scope of personal information jointly used
Among customers’ information, the following information is jointly used by BMW Japan Corp., BMW Japan Finance Corp. and an authorized dealer in charge of the customers among authorized BMW/MINI dealers having Dealer Contract with the Company.
- Address, name, date of birth, telephone number, e-mail address and occupation
- Information on transaction with customers
- Information collected through questionnaire surveys and our website
Among customers’ information, the following customers’ vehicle service information is jointly used by BMW Japan Corp., BMW Japan Finance Corp. and the network of authorized BMW/MINI dealers having Dealer Contract with the Company.
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the vehicle
- Labour codes, part numbers, description of work carried out, dates of work done and readings of the odd meter required for repair and maintenance of the vehicle
- Activity log and activity environment of the vehicle to be collected or held during the course of repair and maintenance of it, and processed data thereof
- Advice and proposals provided for repair and maintenance of the vehicle (whether implemented or not)
(2) Purpose of use by the joint users
Purpose of use of the above (1) (a) information is as follows:
- For providing information to customers on products, services, events, and campaigns to be provided by the joint users
Purpose of use of the above (1) (b) information is as follows:
- For providing appropriate services upon receiving the vehicle at the workshop, appropriate advice in case of valuation or when switching to a new model and for providing information to customers on products, services, events, and campaigns provided by us.
(3) Name of the party responsible for managing jointly used our customers’ personal information. The Company (for any inquiries and complaints, please contact our Customer Interaction Centre described in Article 7 below)
5. Proper Management of Personal Information
The Company responsibly handles customers’ personal information at the Company or the Company’s headquarters in Germany and establishes organisational structure and implements measures for safety management of the System in order to prevent unauthorised access to, loss, destruction, alteration, and leaking of personal information.Likewise, we will instruct our subcontractors to severely manage private information in line with our policy.
6. Handling of Personal Information of Customers
The Company does not use personal information of customers that the Company or the Company’s headquarters in Germany manage and hold for any other purpose than described in Article 2 without consent from the customers. If a customer wishes to have his/her own personal information disclosed to himself/herself or to make correction to it, he/she can apply by procedures separately specified, and the Company will take actions as promptly as possible in reasonable time frame. Disclosure or elimination of customers’ personal information can be requested by forms specified by the Company, and correction, change or cessation of usage of customers’ personal information can be requested by calling the Company’s contact point. After identity verification, if it becomes clear that the recorded personal information is inaccurate or incorrect, the Company deletes, corrects or changes such personal information promptly.
Such forms as application for disclosure can be downloaded from BMW or MINI Website, or please contact our Customer Support described in Article 7 below. Please note a fee of 1,000 yen (including postage and consumption tax) will arise for such disclosure.
7. Contact Details for Inquiries on Personal Information Handling and Address to Send Application Forms for Disclosure of Personal Information Held
GranTokyo South Tower, 1-9-2 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-6622BMW Japan Corp.
BMW Customer Interaction CentreTelephone: 0120-269-437 (365 days, Operation Hours: Weekdays 9:00-19:00, Weekends and National Holidays 9:00-18:00)
MINI Customer Interaction CentreTelephone: 0120-3298-14 (365 days, Operation Hours: Weekdays 9:00-19:00, Weekends and National Holidays 9:00-18:00)
* Operation Hours of the BMW/MINI Customer Interaction Centre have been changed as of January 1, 2015.
We continue the training on protection of customers’ personal information to all executives and staff.
9. Improvement in the Compliance Program
The Company continues to review and improve its management system (Compliance Program) which consists of policy, organisation, plans, implementation, audit and revision for protection of customers’ personal information held.
Handling of Personal Information on the Website
Technology known as cookies is used in this Website. A "cookie" is a small collection of data transferred from the web server to your browser, and it is saved on your hard disk to identify the computer. We may also use other similar technologies such as pixel tag or web beacon (herein after collectively “cookies“). We are using various kinds of third party venders, and during customer visiting the Website, cookies may send by those third party venders. Cookies are used so that you can access to the contents of the Website in more convenient ways when you come back to visit the Website again, and we can collect information on customers’ visit on the Website. Also, we may post ads when customers previously visited the Website visit some other particular pages. Cookies do not gather any information which can identify you and do not do any harm to your computer. Many web-browsers acknowledge receipt of cookies and allow you to select if you make the browser use the cookies. If you are not sure if the browser you are using has this function, please ask the software developer or your Internet service provider.
2. SSL (Security)
In order to ensure security when you send your personal information through this Website, your personal information transmitted is protected by SSL (Secure Socket Layer - industry standard security protocol for data encryption used in internet communication). If you use SSL compatible web-browser which is set up appropriately, your personal information is transmitted/received with automatically being encrypted.
3. Access Log
This Website records information of viewers in the access log. However, this only contain such information as the domain names of the internet service providers, IP addresses, names and versions of web-browsers, types of OS, and history of viewing the Website, and does not include information which enables to identify an individual. Such information is used to statistically measure the accesses to the Website, and to improve convenience of the Website.
Updates to Privacy Statement
The Company may update this Privacy Statement due to changes in laws and regulations, or in order to deal with customers' requests. Update is announced on the Website, etc., and we suggest you check for updates periodically.
Any inquiry on privacy protection of the Company should be made to Customer Interaction Centre stated above.
* This Privacy Statement is in effect as of 30 May 2017.